What's this about?

This is a devotional blog relating dog training to Bible principles and Christian living.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Listen to the Voice

Every Saturday, our club meets together to practice all three phases of Schutzhund (See links on the right for more info). During the obedience portion, there are 3 to 4 dog and handler teams on the field at one time. This saves time, and also helps the dogs get used to the distractions that they will encounter in trials. One training session, I was working on the field the same time as one of the club helpers (See Terms on the right), Tim. Bison LOVES Tim. This created a problem because everytime Tim would say “Free” to release his dog, Bison thought he was released from what he was doing too. I had to teach Bison that he needed to only obey MY voice and no one else. I walked over by where the club members sit when it isn’t their turn to train. I told Bison to lay down. Then I asked several of the club members to take turns saying “Free!”. If Bison stood up, I have him a collar correction (See Terms on the right). If he stayed in the down position, I said “Good Boy!” and gave him a treat. After about 5 – 6 minutes of repeating this exercise, Bison finally got it, even with Tim standing a few feet away and saying “Free!” Bison learned to shut everything else out and listen to my voice.

As I think about this exercise, I see how it is similar to my relationship with God and how I need to listen for His voice. I don’t mean this in a supernatural way, like a big booming voice from heaven. In I Kings 19, we learn from the story of Elijah that even in Bible times when He spoke in an audible voice, it was a “still small voice”. I think this example shows that God directs our path when we pay attention. In my life, His “still small voice” has come through my parents, teachers, my pastor, and the Bible. When I seek to do what is right, to listen to His voice, I can hear it. And just like Bison had to ignore the voices of my club members, I have to ignore all the other “voices” of self centeredness, fear, covetousness, and pride for God’s to become clear.

Here are some other thoughts on “Listening to Gods Voice”
1. God’s voice calls us to Salvation. We accept him as our savior and ask forgiveness for our sin. (See first post regarding Salvation). Revelation 3:20 states, “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” and John 10:27-28 “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.”
2. God treasures those who obey His voice. Exodus 19:5 “Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
3. God promises blessings to those who obey His voice. There are multiple times in the Old Testament when He tells the nation of Israel that He will bless them if they obey him. For example, Jeremiah 7:23says “But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.”
4. God gives strength and peace through His voice. One of my favorite verses is Psalm 29:11 where God promises strength to His people. This verse is at the end of a chapter describing the strength of his voice. I believe this means that our strength comes from the voice of the Lord, The Bible. That is why it is so important to memorize the scripture. I can not count the times when circumstances in my life were very difficult and a particular verse would pop into my head that gave me the strength to go on.

Here is the whole chapter of Psalm 29. “1Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty, give unto the LORD glory and strength. 2Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. 3The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters. 4The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty. 5The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon. 6He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn. 7The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire. 8The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh. 9The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests: and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory. 10The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever. 11The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.”

No comments:

Post a Comment