What's this about?

This is a devotional blog relating dog training to Bible principles and Christian living.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Attitude is Everything

When first started working on heeling in SchH, I though we would NEVER get it. Watching others do it, it looks easy, but SchH style heeling is very complex to train. The dog has to be at the handlers left side shoulder to leg and not surge ahead or lag behind. The dog should look the handler in the eye while walking and the whole time display confidence and energy. There are a lot of separate components to teach in order to bring this all together and we are still working on it.

In the beginning stages, I worked on just teaching him to be in the right position. Once he learned that, I added in walking. He naturally sat each time we stopped. For some reason, I was thinking that he shouldn’t do this, so I taught him to stay standing when I stopped. Unfortunately, after watching some of my club members training and reading the routine for trial (term for competition) I realized that he is supposed to sit on his own each time I stop walking. I felt so stupid. I had to re-train him to do what he wanted to do in the first place. He wasn’t in the least bit frustrated though. All he cared about was that he got to work, to spend time with me, to hear me praise him, and to get some treats.

If I was in his position, I certainly wouldn’t have a good attitude like that. I imagine turning an assignment in to my boss, having her ask me to do it all over again. Then once I complete it, telling me to start from scratch only to put it back the way that I originally had it. I would have a really bad attitude about it. Philippians 4:8 says “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” When life’s little irritations come my way, I need to change my attitude to a Bison attitude, a focus on the positive. That’s what is really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment